Croydon is a town in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia located about 28 kilometres east of Melbourne's main business area. Croydon has a population of almost 27,000 people. The area that eventually became Croydon was initially utilised back in the 1840’s by colonists for the grazing of farm livestock. The earliest road through the location was called Sawmill road due to a sawmill close by. Later on it was changed to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s it was changed to what it is known today as Mt Dandenong Road. The region itself was initially named White Flats since the place was greatly filled by a rough silvery-white type grass. The naming of Croydon was presented to it by the Lacey family members who got their start in Essx, England who called it after the Croydon in Britain that was Mrs. Lacey's hometown. Nearby the current Main St shopping area is a street named after the Lacey family.
Packages of property in the area were first mapped in 1868 and the place was first formally habituated with all the area specializing in the farming of sheep, beef and dairy. There have been several sawmills set up. Next, there were orchards which incorporated apples, cherries, peaches, pears in addition to plums which thrived. A number of the existing street names in and around Croydon today mirror that earlier uses of the area.. In 1874 Cobb & Co started services using horses and carts to the area. A rail track to the region was opened on 1 December 1882 and the train station was named Warrandyte which was not actually in Warrandyte that was deceptive as that location was a horse and coach ride 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it was relabeled to be referred to as the Croydon railway stop. From the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish built his home and started several other business ventures that incorporated a general shop, news agency, butchers store as well as a hotel. He also founded several orchard trees. The Croydon Postal Service was launched on 1 December 1883. The close by Nelson's Hill Post Office opened up in 1902 and was later relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. In Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall was built. Croydon was eventually announced and gazetted to be a city in 1912.
In 1920 a Monday market was began in Croydon that included livestock, chickens, birds as well as other small animals. It was really a noted landmark in the region and a favorite meeting location for locals from adjoining suburbs before the site was re-constructed in the 1980s. It was eventually shut down in 2012. For local government purposes, Croydon was initially an important part of what was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a demand was published by officers for Croydon to leave the Shire of Lillydale and be its very own governing entity. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and it was announced as a City in 1971. Later, it was merged, along with the City of Ringwood being the City of Maroondah in 1994. Currently, the Main Street of Croydon is a booming area centre that has just about 200 shops.